The Panther Press

Whine and Cheese by Evan Liu

Whine and Cheese

A Longer Spring Break

By Evan Liu

Spring is a time of celebration for many. The snow is clearing up and the weather is getting warmer but refrains from the burning temperatures of the summer. It’s a perfect time for kids to be outside, biking on a trail or playing sports with their friends. Days flit by as students delay their homework and catch up on sleep. Spring is arguably the best season for children to enjoy, yet spring break typically lasts only a week. All of this enjoyment begs the question, should schools give students a longer spring break? After investigating the needs of several students, I have come to the conclusion that a longer spring break will not only satisfy students but will also be healthier for their wellbeing.

Oftentimes, students are exhausted from loads of schoolwork and various extracurricular activities. They typically need a few days of break to rest and recover before they throw themselves back into their studies. That period of break usually has to allow them to make it through the rest of the year, as students seldom have another opportunity to revitalize their minds later on. Spring break is the only chance to enter into the rest of the school year with minds that are wide awake. Generally, a week isn’t enough for many students to unwind and relax, especially when students are assigned work over break.

Even if seven days is sufficient for students to recuperate, the brevity of spring break leaves many issues. When most of a student’s vacation is spent recovering sleep, there is rarely time for them to really have fun. The relatively short break will limit family plans to go on decently lengthy vacations. This obstacle can often lead to students needing to miss a few days of school before or after the break. If this issue comes up, the short spring break simply becomes an inconvenience for both students and teachers. Students have to catch up with what they missed, while teachers have to devote time to getting students who missed school caught up.

On the other hand, having a longer spring break could shorten the school year. This development could scatter the lesson plans of teachers, forcing them to teach more information in a shorter amount of time. However, this problem can easily be solved by taking out the same chunk of time from summer break. A study conducted by Harvard Graduate School of Education found that students can lose 2.6 months of math over the summer. Other skills like reading also deteriorate, but not at such a severe rate. Teachers then have to devote several weeks to substitute for the loss of learning. By taking a week off of summer break and adding it to spring break, the brains of students will be more prepared to learn when they get back in class.

Spring break lasting only a week is impractical for students and poorly accommodates the plans of families. Students and parents are working hard all year, so spring break should be a significant period of time for students to unwind. By exchanging a week between summer break and spring break, students will be able to enrich their learning experience both at home and in the classroom. I hope that the school district considers this exchange in order to make both students and parents happier with the education system.