The Panther Press

Barr Classroom Article

Barr Article

By Isabel Azarcon

For the past few weeks, Mrs. Barr’s seventh grade students have worked on analyzing Animal Farm, and are close to concluding their study. They are beginning to work on their first literary analysis, specifically in developing their evidence, claims, and organizational categories. Before spring break, they are scheduled to finish their body paragraphs. Mrs. Barr believes that her pupils are doing very well and that the culmination of Calvin and Hobbes studies helped them to comprehend various writing concepts. She hopes to give them the chance to read the Watch That Ends the Night, as another option to conclude this year. Additionally, Mrs. Barr plans to go over A Midsummer Night’s Dream and the history of theater. In her social studies class, she is transitioning the students into understanding the Great Depression and World War II. They are exposed to several countries’ perspectives of when the war began. Meanwhile, she is constantly acquiring more books to fill her ever-growing classroom library. Recently, she was given a $200 grant for books about diversity and contemporary topics. She chose a multitude of books including, Jason Reynolds, Long Way Down, Children of Blood and Bone, and 57 Bus. After school on the 20th and 21st of March, auditions were held for Shakespeare in the Courtyard. This year, they are staging Hamlet and calling all thespians to engage in reenacting historically significant literature. Meetings will commence after Spring Break for students to rehearse for the play with multiple groups of people at a time.