The Panther Press

Feeder School Music Tours

Emma Garlough, News Editor

EOn Thursday, March 22nd, students in extracurricular music ensembles at Kennedy Junior High School participated in the “feeder school” tours. They traveled to the elementary schools that feed into Kennedy: Highlands, Meadow Glens, Ranchview, and Steeple Run. There, the Jazz Ensemble, String Fusion, and Kennedy Singers performed for the 5th graders. It took place during the school day from 9:30 to 2:00.

This field trip had two purposes: to demonstrate the musical opportunities they would have at a middle-school level, educating them about Kennedy’s extracurricular band, orchestra, and chorus programs; and to inspire students to continue or begin performance music in 6th grade. The question of whether this was successful will be answered when students begin to enroll in classes. However, it can be estimated now based on their apparent enthusiasm, which was comparable to recent years. Certain students seemed eager to participate, filled with childlike excitement. Others, however, were more neutral about the experience.

After performing at each school, the three KJHS groups ate and returned to Kennedy. Some remarked that they took longer than expected and were gone nearly the entire school day; the buses were expected to return around 2:00 in the afternoon. Comments on the tour were, despite the self-deprecating nature of most Panthers, not entirely negative; it seemed to be viewed positively by performance members, directors, and audience members alike.