The Panther Press

AA Basketball vs. Jefferson- Round 2 By Adi Srinivasan

AA Basketball vs. Jefferson- Round 2

By Adi Srinivasan

On Thursday, January 11, the Kennedy Eagles’ AA team played against the Jefferson Patriots in the conference quarterfinals at home, as the Eagles held the higher seed. From the jump ball to the final buzzer, both teams played hard and put on an entertaining game                                               

The 1st quarter was by no means a shootout, as both teams looked to get the ball to their centers down low. Kennedy was able to utilize their centers and force the ball inside, while two quick threes from Jefferson kept the Patriots in the game. Neither team was able to take a hold in the first quarter, as it ended with Kennedy leading 6-5. The 2nd quarter opened with an aggressive full-court trap from Jefferson, which forced a few turnovers from Kennedy’s offense. After an exchange of points, Kennedy suffered a devastating blow down 7-8. Midway through the 2nd quarter, starting center Reggie Fleurima went down with an ankle injury. He would not return. Kennedy was able to stay in the game, as the half ended tied at 14, capped off by a buzzer-beating three from Robby Marlowe. Thanks to some frustrating turnovers on offense and an abundance of drives from Jefferson’s offense, Kennedy fell behind 20-28 by the end of the 3rd. After three transition layups, Jefferson was able to extend their lead to 14, as they went up 20-34 with 4 minutes left in the 4th. The Eagles were able to cut the lead to 10 after an Andrew Dawson and-one, but Kennedy would not be able to cut the lead down any further and ended their season in a disappointing defeat at the hands of the Patriots, 33-43.

The AA Eagles may have played their last game of the season, but A still has a chance to advance to the conference championship. They will play in Round 3 on Thursday, January 18, and have a chance at the championship game on Friday, January 19.