The Panther Press

Monthly Book/Movie Review By Kunal Jain

Monthly Book/Movie Review

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

By Kunal Jain

The main cast of the movie was Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillian, and Jack Black.I went to see it with my family at Cinemark Seven Bridges. One thing to keep in mind is that I have already watched the original movie, made in 1995.

20 years before the main storyline, there is a prologue in which a boy named Alan Parrish plays Jumanji, a video game that he was given by his father. When he plays it, he is sucked into the world of Jumanji.

The main storyline starts with four high school kids who get detention and are forced to clean out the school’s basement. They then find an old video game console and decide to play on it. They choose their characters and are sucked into the game as the character that they chose. They each have 3 lives, and if they lose all of them, they die in real life. They need to stop a big game hunter named Russell Van Pelt from obtaining the “Jaguar’s eye” which allows him to control the animals in the game. They need to get the eye and return it to a statue to escape the game. Along the way, they need to use their individual strengths to clear each of the levels of Jumanji.

Despite some good reviews on the movie, I would not give it a high rating, because the original was a much better movie. This version seemed to be made just for “modern” kids and lacked depth and insight. It had some good humor and action, so I would give it a ⅗ instead of a ⅖ rating. It was overall a mediocre movie, and I would not recommend it to many people. It had some good, enthralling effects, but the whole storyline felt bland and boring, and there was not as much anticipation or suspense as to what would happen next as the original. This movie was marketed to the typical 12-year-old, not adults or intellectuals, so it would be good for that age group. The main selling point of the movie was its cast, and the acting in the movie was superb, which is something it did better than the original movie.

To sum it all up, the movie was an average, generic, and boring one, and did not appeal to me at all. The only reason I went out and watched this movie was to write this article. I might have a much different opinion, though, if I had not watched the original.