The Panther Press

Horoscopes By Isabel Zhou

Horoscopes

By: Isabel Zhou

Whether you follow Horoscoptic on Instagram, anxiously check Refinery29 daily for the next horoscope updates, or own a telescope so you can analyze the alignment of the planets every week, you’ve probably heard of horoscopes and astrology before.

If not, horoscopes are forecasts of a person’s future based on the relative positions of the stars and planets based on the time of that person’s birth. Also known as star signs, the twelve zodiac signs each represent a celestial body such as the Sun or the Moon. Each of the twelve signs belongs to one of the four elements: Earth, Air, Fire, or Water. Additionally, the people who belong in each zodiac sign tend to share the same strengths and weaknesses, personality traits, preferences, and fears.

Check out your zodiac sign by finding where your birthday falls! This month’s bonus is “The Signs as Children.”

Aries ♈ (March 21 – April 19)

The first astrological sign in the zodiac is Aries, portrayed by a ram. This Fire sign represents the planet Mars, as Aries are known for being extremely hot-headed. Aries are independent and courageous; they enjoy leading others and are very goal-oriented. As children, they were probably the aggressive people who hoarded all the blocks.

Taurus ♉ (April 20 – May 20)

Taurus is the second sign of the zodiac and represented by a bull. While in the category Earth, Taurus also acts for the planet Venus. The people who make up this sign are very down to earth. However, they are also stubborn and unyielding; they will fight for what they want. A Taurus was most likely the controlling kid who stole things from other children.

Gemini ♊ (May 21 – June 20)

The third zodiac sign is Gemini, the twins. An Air sign, Gemini represents the planet Mercury. At times, Gemini are the joke of the signs. They are known for their energy and are social butterflies, but can be talkative to a fault. Thus, a Gemini is the one kid who will jabber for hours on end.

Cancer ♋ (June 21 – July 22)

Moving on to the fourth sign, Cancer, which is portrayed by a crab. In the solar system, Cancer represents the Moon; this Water sign is very sensitive and not very predictable. Cancers are often the mother figure of their friend group and do not like to argue. So of course, Cancer were always claiming the mom part when playing the family game as children.

Leo ♌ (July 23 – August 22)

Leo is the fifth zodiac sign and represented by a lion. Cycling back to the Fire signs, Leos symbolize the Sun of the solar system. They love to be in the center of attention and are exceedingly proud yet still faithful. The Leos were the children who would cry until someone paid attention to them.

Virgo ♍ (August 23 – September 22)

Virgos are an Earth sign. As representatives of “The Virgin” and the planet Mercury, they are always thinking. Virgos are typically successful and creative as well as adamant perfectionists. As children, they were most likely the ones who were meticulous and neat, always coloring in the lines and constantly organizing their materials.

Libra ♎ (September 23 – October 22)

The seventh sign is Libra, an Air sign that -along with Taurus- represents the planet Venus. Also symbolized by a scale, Libras get along well with almost everyone as they are diplomatic and can adapt to balance out others’ strengths and weaknesses. Libras were the kids who were curious about who weighed more on the seesaw.

Scorpio ♏ (October 23 – November 21)

The eighth zodiac sign is Scorpio, which is portrayed by a Scorpion (surprise, surprise!) This Water sign symbolizes the dwarf planet Pluto. People who fall into this category are very intense, which can be both positive and negative. They are self-reliant and dominant and were the children who started fires on the playground using woodchips.

Sagittarius ♐ (November 22 – December 21)

Sagittarius is a Fire sign symbolized by an archer and representative of the planet Jupiter. The people of this sign are quite open-minded and have a positive outlook on life. However, they can also be reckless and insensitive. As kids, they were the ones who never, ever cried.

Capricorn ♑ (December 22 – January 19)

Represented by a goat, Capricorns are symbolic of the planet Saturn and fall into the Earth category. They are hardworking, straightforward, and very ambitious. A Capricorn will work ceaselessly until they achieve their goal. Thus, they were the children who always seemed to be doing homework.

Aquarius ♒ (January 20 – February 18)

The eleventh zodiac sign is Aquarius, also known as “The Water Bearer.” Aquarius is an Air sign; they are innovative and admired by others. As distant and somewhat eccentric people, Aquarians usually don’t care what other people think of them. They were the kids who built elaborate machines out of Legos.

Pisces ♓ (February 19 – March 20)

The last sign of the zodiac is Pisces. Pisces is represented by a fish, hence it also falls into the Water category. This sign symbolizes the planet Neptune, and those who are Pisces are creative, free-spirited people. They like to escape from reality but are good listeners when you need them to be. Pisces were the children who would always be seen talking to their imaginary friend(s).

In reality, there is not a lot of scientific support for horoscopes. Western astrology relies on the belief that the changes seen in the heavens are reflected back onto Earth, and this is not a very realistic idea to many people. Despite all this, some still continue to believe. At the end of the day, the allure of horoscopes endures; they offer people the comfort of predictability, the sense of control that comes with knowing their needs, desires, and future.