The Panther Press

Basketball vs Scullen By Adi Srinivasan

Basketball vs Scullen

By Adi Srinivasan

On Monday, January 8, the Kennedy Eagles boys basketball team played at home against the Scullen Sharks. The A teams had a hard-fought battle against one another, but the Sharks were able to prevail in the end with a 26-23 victory. The AA Eagles matched up well against the Sharks, as they were able to outshine Scullen in a 38-27 win.

The A Eagles started slow, as Scullen out-rebounded and out-hustled Kennedy on both sides of the ball, and Kennedy ended up down 13-0 by the end of the first quarter. Scullen’s defense remained aggressive going into the second quarter, as they were able to jump passes and force turnovers. Although Kennedy forward Nikhil Sathyanathan was able to score off of a layup and a couple of free throws, the Eagles still faced a 14-point deficit at the half, down 19-5, thanks in part to Kennedy’s abundance of turnovers and inability to create open shots. In the 3rd quarter, Kennedy picked up the pace as they began showing some of their aggressiveness and athleticism on defense, opening up opportunities in transition, and cutting down Scullen’s lead significantly. The Eagles managed to reverse what the Sharks did to them in the first quarter, as they outscored Scullen 13-0 in the third, closing the gap to 19-18 going into the final quarter. The 4th quarter saw both teams unable to create opportunities on offense, and midway through, both teams had yet to score. Kennedy’s dominance on the offensive boards allowed for more opportunities, and they were finally able to take advantage of this as they took their first lead of the game, going up 21-20. The consistent refereeing throughout the game started to falter in the final minutes, as ticky tack fouls were called on both sides. Ultimately, Kennedy’s mistakes and missed opportunities, along with great play from Scullen, lead to a 26-23 loss.

The AA Eagles almost had the complete opposite start, as they were able to jump out to a 12-1 lead due to sloppy play from Scullen and Kennedy’s ability to hit their shots. Although Scullen was able to create opportunities for themselves through their offensive rebounding, they were not able to convert these shots into points, as the 1st quarter came to a close with Kennedy up 12-3. A pair of threes from Scullen to start the second quarter cut Kennedy’s lead down to just three, and although Kennedy did not allow Scullen’s intense defense to phase them, the Sharks were able to end the half down only four points, with the score 16-12. The third quarter saw both teams trade baskets back and forth, and Kennedy’s 4-point lead remained going into the fourth. The Eagles were able to push the ball in transition and force it inside to their big men on offense, allowing them to pull away and win 38-27.

Although A was not able to come away with a win, their play was admirable as they came back from down 17-2, and were a few shots away from victory. AA’s game was not as dramatic, but they were able to exact revenge on the Sharks after their defeat in last year’s 7th-grade conference championship at the hands of Scullen.