The Panther Press

Basketball Recap by Keegan Walter

Basketball Recap

By Keegan Walter

Kennedy Junior High School’s Single-A and Double-A 8th-grade basketball teams played very well in their seasons. Coach Hollander and Coach Klein-Collins taught their boys well, as they came out with a championship win and solid seasons. The 8th-grade Single-A team, under the direction of coach Klein-Collins, came out with a championship win, with only 2 losses in their regular season. The 8th-grade Double-A team, led by coach Hollander, came out with the same statistics, but without a win in the championship.

Both AA and A basketball teams played well and came out with very positive records, pleasing their fans, coaches, and themselves. Nikhil Sathyanathan, on the Single-A team, said, “We practiced hard throughout the season and we did everything we needed to get a well-earned win in the championship.” Nicholas Boettcher, on the double-A team, said “Good season I guess”, disappointed that one of their key players, Reggie Fleurima got injured and could not play near the end of the season. The A team, as well as the AA team, ended up with only 2 losses, and it was the same for the Double-A.

The Single-A Kennedy team won the championship, but they had to battle. They fought hard throughout the game, and persistence was their ally; because their opponents “pulled away” in the fourth quarter, the Kennedy Eagles took control of the game. Sathyanathan states that he only scored a few points, but it wasn’t about scoring it was about assisting and sharing the ball.

The Double A team also fought hard, but since one of their star players was hurt, the other team took advantage of them. Reggie Fleurima, Kennedy’s tallest player, attained a foot injury and couldn’t play in the championship rounds. With a player over 6 ft tall, Kennedy’s opponents stole the win, and the Eagles finished with a sad loss.

With a solid effort by both teams, receiving great season records and and a win in the championship, the Kennedy 8th grade AA and A basketball teams had a fun time excelling above the others and working hard.