The Panther Press

Wrestling vs. Jefferson by Keegan Walter

Wrestling vs. Jefferson

By Keegan Walter

The song “Thunderstruck” by ACDC boomed throughout Kennedy’s gymnasium while their 8th grade eagles team riled up the audience. Siblings, parents, and grandparents cheered as the Eagles circled around the mats, warming up. Organizing the team, Will Damge stood in the middle of a large circle, coordinating the team while stretching. After the completion of each stretch, they would slap the mats beneath them twice, then clap, creating an effect on the audience that made them look organized and completely focused, yet at the same times ferociously strong. During the time designated for warming up, Jefferson;s wrestlers watched in awe at the Kennedy team while going over their own warm-ups, which consisted of jogging in a circle and doing cartwheels and somersaults, which seemed very casual and undisciplined. The stress on family started forming when Kennedy’s wrestlers started to take off their matching uniformed warm up clothes, and when the opponents took off their Illinois sweatshirts, Under Armour, and Nike sweatpants, pulling their under uniform straps onto their shoulders.

Coach Horan and Coach Serbinski talked throughout the whole of the match, bringing kids to focus and guiding them through the multiple matches that took place on November 28th, along with making the athletes jump rope to stay ready and on their toes. With a very torturous and unpredictable outcome, the AA wrestlers came out with a win, but the A wrestlers sadly lost by only a few points. Great pins were made by Nathan Hansen, Kevin Rardin, Dillon Callaghan, and Yiguang Zhu, along with great attempts by Evan Streaka, Tristan Lindquist, and Sam Visser.

Overall the Matches were fair, not too many illegal tactics were used, and the boys participated with passion. WIth an overall score of 24-29 Patriots for A and 45-42 Eagles for AA, the 8th grade eagles participated with their all, and in return earned great scores.