The Panther Press

Hanging Lights in the Pod by Jacob Cao

Jacob Cao, News Editor

Every year in late November, on the last day of Thanksgiving break, the eighth graders on Kennedy Junior High School’s Panther team partake in the tradition of decorating the inside of the pod with Christmas lights and streamers.

On Sunday, November 26th, the Panther students had been entrusted with this annual task of hanging lights in the pod. Last year’s eighth graders did a fantastic job, filling the pod with a glowing golden aura and cheerful spirit. But can the same be said for this year’s decorations?

Some would argue yes, others would argue no. Many of the Panthers think that it wasn’t quite as magical as last year, and they attribute this to two main factors. First, nothing’s really as grand after it’s already been seen, and second, all the behind-the-scenes work makes it less surprising, also taking away the wow factor..   

Regardless of the outcome, it is worth mentioning the various roles that the Panthers played in putting up the lights. Some of the Panthers were taking charge, standing on chairs, giving commands, and hanging lights on the ceilings, while others were doing minor tasks such as hanging up the snowflake ribbons, and others were doing nothing, or possibly engaging in malfeasance.

Despite the uneven distribution of the work, the lights are up, the snowflakes are spread, and there have been no major issues yet, so this year’s light hanging can at least be considered a mild success.

How do you think the Panthers did?