The Panther Press

Kennedy’s Rivalry Game Against Madison by Adi Srinivasan

Adi Srinivasan

Kennedy’s Rivalry Game Against Madison

By Adi Srinivasan

The Kennedy Eagles boys basketball teams came away with one win and one loss against Madison at home on Monday, December 4. The A team flew past the Warhawks for a 34-22 victory, but AA could not do the same, losing 34-41 in a close game.

The A game started off close, with Kennedy down by one at the end of the first quarter. Nicolas Badrljica had a strong showing, scoring all five of Kennedy’s first quarter points and 15 by the end of the game. In the second quarter, Kennedy began to pull away as they forced Madison to settle for perimeter shots, which did not fall at a high percentage. Kennedy ended the half with a ten point lead, thanks in part to their ball movement and ability to drive on offense, and their staunch protection of the paint on the defensive end. The second half saw the Eagles simply outplay the Warhawks, as they were unphased by the full court press¹, Madison threw at them. Kennedy hustled on the boards and made meaningful passes, which allowed them to hold onto their lead and end up winning by 12, in a 34-22 victory.

The AA Eagles did not come out high and flying, as their slow defense and lack of strength inside, which was in part due to center Reggie Fleurima and forward Owen Prucha not being present, caused them to go into the second quarter down by three. Madison started taking perimeter shots in the 2nd quarter, and unlike their A counterparts, they were able to knock them down at a high rate. This allowed opportunities for Madison’s guards to drive or kick it down low to their big man, who played strong the whole night. By the fourth quarter Kennedy was down by 11, and while they were able to somewhat stay in the game and cut the lead down to 4 thanks to an aggressive full-court press headed by Joseph Tennyson, the AA Eagles ended up losing 34-41. The key absences of Reggie Fleurima and Owen Prucha certainly helped Madison in their victory, but with those talented players, the outcome of the game may have been in Kennedy’s favor. Come support the Eagles at their next game, as they look to improve their record and hopefully get a high seed come playoff season.

¹A full court press is a defensive scheme that involves defenders, usually guards, smothering their assigned opponent from the time the ball is inbounded, an aggressive tactic used at the end of games to rush the offense and force turnovers.