The student news site of Kennedy Jr. High School

The Panther Press

Feeder School Tour

Siddharth Ravuri, Features Editor

On Thursday the 16th of March, honor music students of Kennedy Junior High took a trip to three elementary schools to demonstrate their music to younger students. This tour, along with the BandFest mixed concert at Kennedy, are one of the ways that Junior High students convince their younger counterparts to stay in musical programs. Three music groups took the interschool trip to Highlands, Meadow Glens, and Steeple Run; the Jazz Ensemble, String Fusion, and Kennedy Singers.

The tour started with setup. Each music group had to load and unload their instruments and music stands onto the buses after each school was left. The Kennedy Singers only had to carry a keyboard piano to each school, as the host band programs already had stands to perform with. The String Fusion had to transport their instruments, which were generally quite mobile, other than the Bass. The Jazz Ensemble had the hardest setup job, having to transport and setup a full drumset and other percussion instruments, as well as each performer’s’ individual instrument. Setup and takedown times before and after each performance averaged from fifteen to twenty minutes.

Each group performed generally well, with an occasional minor mistake made per school visited. These mistakes were unnoticeable to an unpracticed ear, such as that of the younger music students. However, many of the performers feel that they did not play as well as they could have. As one Jazz Ensemble member says, “We completely failed.” This member wishes to remain anonymous. Whether this mindset is due to excessively high expectations, or an overall self-deprecating attitude, it cannot be healthy to any performer. Nevertheless, the general opinion was of at least partial success.
All in all, the Kennedy Music Feeder Tour was a successful venture, hopefully causing many elementary students to consider a music program in their following years. Each performing band played well, and the students agree. As an experience, the Tour was definitely one to remember.