The student news site of Kennedy Jr. High School

The Panther Press

The Final Track Meet

Maisie Li, Sports Editor

With the entire school year coming to an end, track is the very last sport for the students here at Kennedy Junior High. The conference meet for the entire track team is symbolic of the hard work and perseverance of determined students. It’s the most important meet of the season and all the efforts of the athletes have paid off just in time for the year to wrap up. With summer rolling around, students are anxious to finish off the season with a win and uphold the champion name. For some, conference will be their last meet ever at Kennedy Junior High, but 7th graders have the opportunity to return to the team next year and be future captains.

Unlike previous years, the Naper County Boys’ and Girls’ Conference will be held on the same day and it will be held on a Saturday. This will be a first for this particular meet as boys’ conference and girls’ conference have always been held on separate days in the past. Consequently, this one meet will be much longer than others. With twelve schools and three athletes from each grade level and gender for each event, the meet is sure to be packed with hundreds of competitors. The events that will be competed are hurdles, the medley relay, 100m dash, the 1600m, the 800m, the 200m, 400m, 4×100, 4×200, 4×400, and all field events. That is ten running events, and with five field events, it’s going to be a very long Saturday.

Kennedy’s current track team has approximately 200 athletes, with about 50 students per group. Girls’ team has captains and so does the boys’ team. These captains work to support, lead, and answer any questions from their fellow teammates. Track captains were chosen by the athletes themselves and hold a lot of responsibility for the team. The official leaders for the track teams are the coaches. The students owe their success and pride all to the coaches. They have supported and coached everyone from the beginning of the season to be future conference champs.

Bittersweet feelings circulate the school as students are both anxious and excited for the school year to be over. It’s been a long, happy year, but we are sorry to see 2017-2018 at KJHS go. The end of track and the end of school go hand in hand and we are prepared to finish it off right. Athletes have worked their hardest to get where they are now, and it will all pay off at the end of the season.