The student news site of Kennedy Jr. High School

The Panther Press

Band Concert

Nell Lorimer, Photo/Graphics Editor

On the night of May 26, 4 feeder schools to Kennedy Junior High came to 216 Greentrails Dr. to put on an unforgettable performance. The 8th grade band played that night, as well, showing off the skills they gained throughout their 3 years under the direction of Michael McManis and Matthew Dethrow.

The concert started with the graduating band, and from an 8th grader’s perspective, the night went decently well. The selections they played were Triumphant Fanfare, Three English Dances, Shut Up and Dance, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Each song was played with precision, even in the wood gym. That setting is extremely difficult to play in due to the size. There is an echo which can create rush or lag, forcing one to use their eyes for time instead of their ears. Despite this, the 8th graders played magnificently. Soon, their section was over and it was time for next year’s 6th graders to play.

The 5th grader’s songs were conducted by the directors from the feeder schools, including Kennedy’s own Matthew Dethrow. Each school received the same music and prepared it separately. Then, they had a rehearsal and the junior high to practice together before the concert. They played well, considering it was only their second time in that setting. Although the different schools wore different uniforms, they still looked professional and prepared. Highlands had their blue band shirts and the others wore white tops with black from the waist down.

One of the parents interviewed said that she “thought that [Shut Up and Dance] was really fun”. Another favorite for some was Star Wars because it was well recognized and exciting. From the audience’s point of view, the 5th graders played well. They were a lot smaller than the 8th graders and it was cool to see how much they would grow as performers.

The place was packed for that special night. It was the eighth graders’ last performance at Kennedy and the fifth graders’ first. Music is an integral part in the life of a child, and thanks to the band program at Kennedy, students can and will continue to prosper.